Sunday, January 27, 2019

How to Boost Your Folate Intake for Mental Health


Adequate folate (aka folic acid) intake is critical for those with depression and anxiety.  Folate is extremely important for mental health in general (that's why pregnant women are told to eat plenty of foods with folate.)  I can tell when my folate level is too low because I get loose bowels even to the point of diarrhea.  That's when I know it's time to soak some black-eyed peas.  I soak them for at least 4 hours, then I just eat them raw.  Heat destroys folic acid, so cooked black-eyed peas (which are usually very high in folate) will end up with zero folate. I will add the soaked, raw black-eyed peas to salads, or I will just eat them raw.  I'll eat 1/8-1/4 cup within a couple of days time and I'm charged up and good to go.  It works like a charm.  Remember that for some people a low folate level is one of the top reasons they have depression.  They can try all the anti-depressants they want, but if they have low folate levels they just aren't going to respond.

I hope this helps! 

No comments :

Post a Comment